Monday, August 13, 2012

Bread Pudding...for Dinner???



I found this recipe on the FreshEggsDaily Blog for Monte Cristo bread pudding and thought I'd give it a try.
                                                 5 medium chicken eggs

1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 Cup Milk
1 Tablespoon Deli-Style Mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Loaf French Bread, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 lb. Turkey, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 lb. Ham, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 lb. Swiss Cheese, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme
1/2 Stick Butter
 
Whisk eggs, cream, milk, and mustard, salt and pepper in a 2 Cup measuring cup and set aside. Butter two 8" square casserole dishes (or one 13"x9" dish) and arrange half of the bread cubes in each dish, dividing evenly. Layer half of the meats and cheese in each dish on top of the bread. Sprinkle thyme over top, then cover with the remaining bread. Carefully pour the egg mixture over the top, making sure to moisten all the bread.  Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down to soak the filling and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, remove from oven, brush top with melted butter and return to oven for another 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and top is golden brown.
 

It was very good. I think my loaf of French bread was a little too big for the recipe and I should have made some more of the egg and milk mixture.
I hate cutting up stuff when cooking. I never have a sharp enough knife, and I lack the patience for it, but in this case with the bread it was just getting smashed. And yes I was using a serrated bread knife. I just tore up the bread instead.
I'm going to try this with another favorite sandwich if ours, "The Cuban"  Mike wants me to make a "Philly Cheese Steak" too

No comments:

Post a Comment