Saturday, August 11, 2012

Egg Custard

I thought I would give it a shot and make egg custard. 
Here's the recipe I found and used from The Healthy Home Economist

Egg Custard Pudding

Ingredients
6 free range or pastured eggs
3 cups grassfed milk (goat milk works well too. You may also substitute whole coconut milk if desired)
1/2 cup Grade B maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
Organic ground nutmeg (optional)
Instructions
Crack eggs into a medium sized glass bowl and whip. Add salt and vanilla and mix well. Blend in maple syrup and milk with a whisk.
Bake in the same bowl at 400F for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly on top and a knife inserted at the center of the bowl comes out clean. Delicious served warm or cold with a bit if nutmeg sprinkled on top!


I guess I'm really not sure what egg custard is, I was expecting something with the consistency of pudding, very creamy.  This was not, although my cooking skills surely played a part in this.  I baked it longer than recommended because when I inserted the knife in the center id did come out clean but there was clear liquid in there.  This clear liquid never cooked off.  When I took it out of the oven it was so light and fluffy almost 4 inches high, like a souflee I think, I've never made one of those either.  Then it flattened out to maybe 1 1/2 inches high.  I did make some modification to the recipe but I don't think that was the issue.  I used Grade A Maple Syrup and used a vanilla bean instead of extract.  It did taste ok, just not what we though it was going to be, the maple syrup was very good but a bit overpowering.  I may give this another try....

No comments:

Post a Comment