Saturday, August 2, 2014

Best Ever Bread & Butter Pickles

4 qts. Thinly sliced pickling cucumbers
8 thinly sliced onions about 3-4 cups
1/3 cup salt
2 1/2 cups vinegar
4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 tablespoons mustard seed

Make sure cukes are well washed and scrubbed. Sprinkle cukes & onions with salt, add ice cubes, cover weighte5 down for 3-6 hours. Drain, mix sugar, spices & vinegar. Boil for 30 seconds. Fill jars and seal. Process 10 per pint.

Of course I never follow a recipe, I just can't do it lol

I salted the cukes & onions at night, added enough ice to cover, put a pie plate on top & put them in the fridge over night. The sat for 10-12 hours.
I did have a little bit of mustard seed left after adding the 2 T so of course I added it :)

I can't believe no one ever told me to get a mandoline slicer! I hate cutting veggies & I zipped through these cukes & onions in no time
Water Bath
Yay! All seals popped

No comments:

Post a Comment